History of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated ®
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated® is an international service organization that was founded on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. in 1908. It is the oldest Greek-letter organization established by African-American college educated women, comprised of over 1018 chapters and almost 300,000 members in the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Germany, Liberia, South Korea, Japan, Canada, South Africa, and the Middle East. The Sorority’s mission of “Service to All Mankind” that began in 1908 continues today and has been at the forefront of positive change in American life. Today, Alpha Kappa Alpha continues to fulfill the service imperatives avowed by our founders through creative programs, awareness, advocacy, action and collaborative partnerships. For more information on Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated ® and its programs, visit www.aka1908.com.
Charter Members, Director of the North Jersey Genealogy, North Atlantic Regional Director, Mary Bentley LaMar,
Chapter President Aida Roberts-Bush and Past Presidents of Pi Theta Omega.
Pi Theta Omega was the first Greek lettered organization in Morris County to have an exhibit at a Morris County library having Exhibits in February-April 2017 and in March 2018 at the Morris County Library. Pi Theta Omega also donated a copy of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated history book, Priceless Pearls, Dimensions of Sisterhood and Service.
Pi Theta Omega Chapter is the FIRST chapter in the North Atlantic Region of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated to establish a repository.
Site Last Updated: July 13, 2020
Archives Committee Chairman Patricia Bing pictured in photo left.